Friendly Banter

"Windows 10 update"
Started by Joe the UFO on 5/30/2016 1:56:42 PM

Post a message on this topic

Joe the UFO
5/30/2016 1:56 PM
Today my computer FORCED ME to upgrade to windows 10. I had no choice or say in the matter, it took the initiative on its own (I swear these things have minds of their own). I had been prompted to convert to Windows 10 many times in the past, but continually denied the upgrade due in part to previous bad experiences changing from one OS to another on my computers (note the use of the plural). Many things could have gone wrong during the upgrade, including loss of a very questionable Wi-Fi connection. So, I crossed my fingers, held my breath and took three shots of Arcturean white lightning. The upgrade was sloooowwww, it took about an hour, but when all was said and done, the upgrade was completed successfully (yay!). So far, I'm pleased with the upgrade, my computer seems to have survived the transition intact, without any weird conversion glitches or fatal error crashes (yay!). >Whew!< I am having difficulty trying to re-orient myself to accessing the various internal features of my computer, including trying to figure out how to turn the darn thing off! :) But, it's a learning curve and a learning process and given enough time (and patience) I'll survive the shock of being forced to convert to Windows 10. So, the good news is (or bad news depending upon YOUR perspective), I'll still be able to play Acro (yay!) See all you fun folks soon, and bear with me as I try to relearn my computer. (I still know where the 'enter' button is, so perish the thought) :-)
Jane Eyre
5/31/2016 11:58 AM
Hi, Joe. The same thing happened to me a few days ago. I was expecting it because one of my facebook friends got stuck. When I caught it, it was 26% done, so I figured I had no choice. But when it finished, it welcomed me to Windows 10, and then asked me to "accept" their rules. When I "declined," it gave me back Windows 7. They may force stuff on you, but you never have to click "I accept."

You WILL get used to Windows 10. It isn't awful. I experienced it for a short time on a Dell computer that I bought and then returned because it was bad out of the box. I personally prefer Windows 7, but 10 isn't awful. Just not preferable.

Good luck!
rehab33
5/31/2016 1:55 PM
I didn't have a choice either!!!!!!! BASTARDS!!!!!
Jane Eyre
5/31/2016 8:13 PM
Rehab, you shouldn't have clicked, "I accept!" :-(
MrPuzzle
5/31/2016 10:52 PM
From what I've heard, Windows 10 is a Privacy Nightmare.
It sends -all kinds of data about you- back to the Mother Ship.

There are many things to turn off to prevent (probably just some of) that.

I suggest a search of "Windows 10 Privacy" for starters.

For example:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

Jane Eyre
6/1/2016 8:59 AM
I heard the same thing, Puzz. Of course, the computer in general is a privacy nightmare, but I did hear that Windows 10 is worse, and that much of the stuff is impossible to turn off. Aside from that, that's what the new computers have--no choice. Don't know what to say about that.
Jane Eyre
6/1/2016 10:47 AM
Thanks for that link, Puzz. Very informative.
Joe the UFO
6/1/2016 7:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mr. Puzzle, I appreciate the info. The windows 10 upgrade warned me of the "big brother" aspects of "monitoring" my internet activity, but I accepted anyway- I have nothing subversive to hide, I don't engage in questionable political or religious practices, nor do I want to force my views on anyone. I'm not a social malcontent and I don't visit internet websites considered morally, socially and or politically wrong- this website isn't one of those questionable places, right? :-) Just kidding, of course. So, I'm actually ok with the paranoid aspects of Windows 10. Let them eat NSA dirt.

On the positive side of the Windows 10 upgrade, it fixed my DVD player to a certain degree. I couldn't use it and the CD player in Windows 7 (my old OS). I can now play CD's and watch movies, but not DVD's with multiple episodes such as TV series. So, no X-Files or Ghost Hunters for me on this computer. I'm happy to be able to watch movies again. Windows 10 also seems to have improved my connectivity to the Wi-fi. I haven't lost connection yet, though it's still early in the upgrade and the jury's still out on this one. I often had problems making the initial Wi-Fi connection with my old OS, and this issue seems to be mostly resolved with Windows 10. It connects much faster and more efficiently than Windows 7 ever did. On the downside, one of my stock photo editing programs was replaced by the Windows 10 version, and I hate it. Maybe it's just me having to readjust to new software, but the Windows 10 version seems inferior capability wise. C'est la vie!

Thanks to everyone who posted a comment on my rambling post- you folks are the greatest.
Rubberdonkey
6/13/2016 5:02 AM
Definitly no fan of the upgrade here. I had to call India to get a lot of stuff squared away such as not having to sign in just to sign in. I live alone and therefore have no need for their supposed "protection". I also had them wipe out all data tracking back to MSN/Windows.

I have had several glitches since the upgrade two months ago AND was promised that I would lose zero information etc.

I discovered last night that all of the emails I had stored on my computer in my MSN Premium mail program were all lost. They aren't in any backup folders, just completely washed away.
It pisses me off because I had corrospondence from people that have since passed away in those folders. Now I can never go back and relive our conversations.

So all-in-all, I hate this upgrade and it certainly hasn't been "smooth" as promised.
rehab33
6/13/2016 4:58 PM
Jane I DIDNT accept I woke up one morning and it was already installing 10. I am NOT a fan!
HeddNurse
6/14/2016 12:23 PM
I had the same thing happen. I needed to access a work scheduling thing which caused my computer to want to upgrade to 10. Sooo I thought I would go ahead. It promised me I would lose nothing. When it finally finished, ALL my pictures were gone and I was having great trouble navigating. Luckily I was able to get rid of it and go back to 7.... for now. Was still able to get the work thing on 7. whew
Jane Eyre
6/17/2016 1:10 PM
Rehab, that's what happened to me. I went to the computer and it was already 26% done. I didn't know how to stop it, so I figured I was stuck. I went back a while later, and it was welcoming me to Windows 10. Then it gave me it's policy statement and asked me to accept it. I declined, and it gave me back Windows 7. Easy as pie.
Jane Eyre
6/17/2016 1:11 PM
Puzz, thank you! I just used your suggested information to make Windows 10 as private as possible on my new laptop. Without you, I just would have used the express settings.

:-)
fuct
6/18/2016 3:53 AM
It's like I say
The
Macines
. Are taking over!!!!
BlackDragon
6/28/2016 5:52 PM
No problems on XP here. :P HAGD

Post a message on this topic